[libvirt-users] setvcpus

Bhasker C V bhasker at unixindia.com
Tue Apr 3 22:27:30 UTC 2012

Hi all,

 I am facing a bit of a trouble with setvcpus on a kvm libvirt
 The guest is crashing right after the command is given.
 I have no trouble with virtio_balloon and that is working fine when I
use setmem command in virsh. The guest is running 3.3.1 kernel (the
command fails both on the stock kernel 2.6.X as-well-as the latest 3.3.1)

 I have seen it working in xen. But this is kvm. Does this feature work
with kvm ? Am I missing any kernel config which enables this ?

thanks

eg:-
virsh # start fedora12
Domain fedora12 started

virsh # vcpuinfo fedora12
VCPU:           0
CPU:            1
State:          running
CPU time:       7.3s
CPU Affinity:   yyyy

VCPU:           1
CPU:            3
State:          running
CPU time:       2.3s
CPU Affinity:   yyyy

virsh # vcpu fedora12
vcpucount  vcpuinfo   vcpupin
virsh # vcpucount fedora12
maximum      config         8
maximum      live           8
current      config         2
current      live           2

virsh # list
 Id Name                 State
----------------------------------
 14 fedora12           running

virsh # setvcpus fedora12 4
error: operation failed: could not change CPU online status

virsh # list
 Id Name                 State

virsh #
virsh # version