[libvirt-users] [API reference] Are there XML-handling API to retrieve info directly from xml configure file

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Apr 11 11:01:55 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 06:41:34PM +0800, Zhihua Che wrote:
> I compile and install the libvirt-glib and I find its doc a little
> lean. I mean it's really hard to get applicable info from it because
> it just lists a list of functions without introducing any concepts
> first.
>
> I find the doc in share/gtk-doc directory. Do I miss anything?  Is
> there any sample code or introduction to its concepts?

Yes, you are correct, the docs are not really there yet.

The test cases actually provide pretty good examples of how to use
the APis - take a look at libvirt-gconfig/tests/test-domain-create.c
in particular.

If you're interested in python, there is examples/config-demo.py

> BTW, Does libvirt supply any function which can return the process
> identifier of the domain?

No, we don't consider the PID of the QEMU process to be part of the
public API, since that is a hypervisor specific implementation detail.
Why do you want to know that ?  Maybe there is some API you can use
to get do the same thing

Daniel