[libvirt-users] Suggestions on building VM disks from scratch

Dale Amon amon at vnl.com
Sun Apr 1 00:09:27 UTC 2012

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 04:37:54PM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 03/31/2012 01:39 PM, Dale Amon wrote:
>
> > I need to define a procedure for last resort disaster
> > recovery from an incremental file level backup of the
> > root partition (and any others that are critical.)
> >
> > Now it is easy enough to create a raw virtual disk
> > with dd, then to losetup and do a cfdisk and mkfs,
> > then mount it and rsync the backup onto it.
>
> It sounds like you want to use the features of libguestfs, possibly via
> the command line program 'virt-rescue'; see http://libguestfs.org for
> more details about what this can let you do.

It looks really nice. But not an easy fix. I'm
at the moment crossing my fingers and running an
update to pre-release Ubuntu Precise on my test
box... I need to confer with another person before
adding in the backports.org version to get it on
our squeeze based production server. One does not
do such things lightly on production boxes!