[libvirt-users] [Building Error] cannot stat `t-af.gmo': No such file or directory

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Tue Apr 3 16:44:07 UTC 2012

On 04/03/2012 10:13 AM, Zhihua Che wrote:

>> Running ./autogen.sh should already be requiring minimum tools; look at
>> how bootstrap.conf has the $buildreq variable that includes gettext 0.17
>> as a prereq.  Maybe the problem is that you can have a system with
>> gettext but not msgmerge?  What distro are you using, and what
>> package(s) did you install to get things working?  How are the binaries
>> divided between packages?  Do we need to add a line to $buildreq?
>>

> I use ubuntu-11.10.
>
> I just issued "sudo apt-get install gettext" and things worked.
>
> What do you mean by "How are the binaries divided between packages?" ?
> I'd say in my system packages installed by apt-get are all installed
> in default directories, such as /usr/local

On Fedora, 'autopoint' is part of gettext-devel-0.18.1.1-8.fc16.x86_64,
but 'gettext' and 'msgmerge' are parts of
gettext-0.18.1.1-8.fc16.x86_64.  Thus, checking for either the 'gettext'
or the 'gettext-devel' package in isolation is wrong; a bootstrap of
libvirt needs both packages on Fedora (then again, gettext-devel depends
on gettext, so depending on the right one package pulls in both).

What I'm trying to ask, then, is why your run of ./autogen.sh didn't
pick up that 'gettext' was missing, and why installing the 'gettext'
package also installed the 'msgmerge' binary needed later on in the build.