[libvirt-users] vol-wipe and delete

Shawn Davis sdavis17 at hawk.iit.edu
Wed Apr 11 00:20:24 UTC 2012

Hello all,

I know libvirt has the following two commands:

vol-wipe

vol-delete

Can someone please explain to me how these function?  Do these only remove
previous session data so that a new virtual instance cannot see it or does
it remove it at the physical level level too so that the data cannot be
found anywhere on the physical drive?  I know Eucalyptus and KVM use sparse
files upon instance creation and the instance thinks the ephemeral space is
all zeroes even though it is just sparse.   I appreciate any insight in how
the two virsh commands work and if they use zeroes, sparse, or some other
method.

Thanks,

Shawn