[libvirt-users] vol-wipe and delete

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Apr 11 14:49:45 UTC 2012

On 04/10/2012 06:20 PM, Shawn Davis wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> I know libvirt has the following two commands:
>

> vol-wipe

calls virStorageVolWipe or virStorageVolWipePattern (depending on
arguments), which overwrites the existing data with all 0 or with a
specific pattern.  The file stays intact, but future uses of the file
will no longer see the data that had been there previously.

> vol-delete

calls virStorageVolDelete, which removes the file but does not wipe it
(so the data is still present on the backing storage device).

> Can someone please explain to me how these function?  Do these only remove
> previous session data so that a new virtual instance cannot see it or does
> it remove it at the physical level level too so that the data cannot be
> found anywhere on the physical drive?

If you want the data removed at the physical layer, use vol-wipe.