[libvirt-users] help:any docs for open vswitch supporting?

Ansis Atteka aatteka at nicira.com
Mon Apr 16 06:55:49 UTC 2012

2012/4/12 Wang Yue <heuye.wang at gmail.com>

> thank you,
> but i think i did not describe my quenstions well.i already knew about
> OVS,and I want to know what libvirt did to support OVS,are there any new
> APIs?or something else.
> after knowing this,I think I will know how to integrate OVS into my system
> using this libvirt new feature.

Probably, the only option for you is to build libvirt from source, unless
you are ok with using Fedora 17 Alpha (I believe this is the only
mainstream distro that has the bleeding libvirt version, but I could be
wrong on this). It should not matter what kind of OVS version you are
using. The only restriction is that ovs-vsctl utility (from Open vSwitch)
must be in the $PATH, because libvirt needs to call it.

Currently only bridged networks are supported, so you must create the OVS
bridge beforehand:

> ovs-vsctl add-br ovsbr

 The other thing you need to do is edit the Domain XML file:

> <interface type='*bridge*'>
> <mac address='52:54:00:d0:3f:f2'/>
> <source *bridge*='*ovsbr*'/>
> *<virtualport type='openvswitch'>
> </virtualport> *

<address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>
> </interface>

And then (re)start the VM.

To verify, if libvirt attached VM interface to the ovsbr as expected, you
should run the following command and look for vnetX interface:

> ovs-vsctl show

Hope this helps.