[libvirt-users] What does cpu_time returned by virDomainGetCPUStats mean?

Zhihua Che zhihua.che at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 06:40:18 UTC 2012

在 2012年4月17日 上午4:11,Eric Blake <eblake at redhat.com> 写道:
> On 04/16/2012 05:37 AM, Zhihua Che wrote:
>>
>>    I thought this value store the run time of the cpu since last boot.
>
> The intent is to store run time of the hypervisor process managing the
> guest (which therefore is larger than the amount of time that the guest
> thinks it has been running, since the hypervisor has some overhead).
> But the API is flexible enough that we can add more statistics, if it
> proves easy to collect such additional statistics.
>
>> But I find I was wrong because this value would increase until it
>> wraps down and doesn't reset even the domain is restarted.
>
> How are you restarting the guest?  If it is by rebooting the guest
> _within the same qemu process_, then no, the numbers won't reset.  Based
> on how the cpuacct cgroup works, the numbers should only wrap when you
> actually create a new qemu process (actually stop the guest and boot it
> fresh in a new qemu process, rather than rebooting the guest within the
> same qemu process).
>
> Perhaps we should be improving our XML to track delta usage since a
> given point in time, and when we detect a domain reboot, update that
> delta point so that the usage will again appear to be 0; allowing a
> delta calculation would also let us "track" CPU usage even across domain
> migration or managedsave/restore.
>

>>    So, what does this value mean?
>>
>>    How can I get the CPU usage of the domain?
>>
>>    I found nothing on the API reference doc page:-(. No word is
>> related with the meaning of the returned array of virTypedParameter by
>> virDomainGetCPUStats().
>
> I found this:
>
> http://libvirt.org/html/libvirt-libvirt.html#VIR_DOMAIN_CPU_STATS_CPUTIME
>
> "cpu usage in nanoseconds, as a ullong"
>
> and looking at libvirt.h, VIR_DOMAIN_CPU_STATS_CPUTIME maps to the
> "cpu_time" name of your API call.
>
> If that still isn't enough information, could you help out by submitting
> patches to improve our documentation?
>
> --

I hope this help user to know what the virTypedParameters mean. As for
me, I didn't connect the function with macros like
VIR_DOMAIN_CPU_STATS_CPUTIME.

I don't know which files in directory docs I should modify. I guess
our docs are generated by extracting comments in source code. So I
modify in comments above virDomainGetCPUStats().

Feel free to tell me if I'm wrong.