[libvirt-users] Building an RPM

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Thu Apr 19 07:24:46 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 08:52:21PM -0700, John Wayne wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have downloaded libvirt-0.9.11 and compiled it on my RHEL 6.2 system.
> I am trying to build a binary RPM for distribution, I am not sure what the best way to go about doing this is.
> http://libvirt.org/FAQ.html suggests that I try 'make rpm', however that ends in the below error:
[...]
> Any clue on how to proceed? I am not sure why api.html is missing, since this is a clean untar of the 0.9.11 tar file, and './configure;make;make install' all worked without any issues.

  Try rpmbuild -ta libvirt-0.9.11.tar.gz

"make rpm" is more for people working out of a git checkout, ou may
end up with missing dependancies leading to a failure to "make dist".

rpmbuild may raise a number of missing dependencies that you may
have to supply locally first before actually making a build.

Daniel