[libvirt-users] Creating Domain and moving a kvm disk under libvirt control

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Apr 19 21:36:21 UTC 2012

On 04/19/2012 04:28 PM, James Allsopp wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to start using libvirt on my debian machine, but am having
> some issues. Regardless of using command-line or gui interface with
> virt-manager, building the virtual machine stalls on 0 with no
> indication of why it has stopped working. How do I go about fixing this
> or diagnosing this problem.

You aren't giving us much to go on.  Have you looked at the
troubleshooting wiki page, to see if any of those symptoms appear to
match your situation?

http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Troubleshooting

What versions of libvirt and qemu-kvm do you have installed?  What
command line are you executing when you hit your failure?  Have you
looked for log files, such as /var/log/libvirt/qemu/$dom.log, for clues?

> Also I've a .img file that work s with KVM, would there be anyway to
> import it for use with libvirt?

Yes, virt-manager can reuse an existing disk instead of creating new
storage when using it to wire up a domain.  Another idea is to create a
domain using a scratch image location, then use 'virsh edit' and look
for the <disk> designation of that location, and edit it to point
instead to your pre-existing .img file.