[libvirt-users] libvirt networking

Dale Amon amon at vnl.com
Thu Aug 23 02:40:49 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 09:52:42PM -0700, Dale Amon wrote:
> Did something happen in the last day or two that would have
> screwed up libvirt networking? I just started up a VM
> that I last ran on Sunday and it has suddenly developed
> issues with communication with the host machine.
>
> Call it VM1 and VMHOST (the libvirt network) and VMHOST_EXT
>
> 	VM1 ping -> Internet	works
> 	VM1 ssh  -> Internet	works
>
> 	VM1 ping -> VMHost	single ping goes through
> 	VM1 ssh  -> VMHost	works
>
> 	VMHOST_EXT ping -> VM1  works
> 	VMHOST_EXT ssh  -> VM1  fails
>
> The only things that have changed were Ubuntu security
> updates to VMHOST (It is an Oneiric).
>
> The VM1 is intentionally kept unchanging to avoid
> breaking some software which will not work on newer
> releases (jaunty).
>
> Again, I was using the VM and mounting fs from VMHOST
> on it as recently as Sunday.
>
> Either there is something deep inside Ubuntu that has
> gotten deeply confused or someone has released an
> update that breaks things.

No answers but just as well because I found the answer. A
partition I left mounted over night got caught in a cron
job updatedb and filled the root disk.

Seems to be back to normal now and I have taken measures
to avoid this in the future.

If anyone scratched their head of this one, thanks for
the thoughts.