[libvirt-users] automatically detaching PCI host devices from guest for SRIOV usage.

Rajesh Kumar Mallah mallah at tradeindia.com
Thu Aug 23 03:41:56 UTC 2012

| Dear Alex ,
|
| What logging level is useful for you ?
|
| Dear Rajesh,
|
| Level 1 (Debug) should be enough, but I guess it probably hasn't more
| help for us, you had better to login the guest then check network when you were
| meeting this issue again, for example, to check if network configuration is valid and try
| to restart relevant network services to see if the guest network can work again
| or something like that, In addition, you shut down the guest via running 'halt' in
| the guest,| Does it work for you if you use libvirt relevant interface such as
| 'virsh shutdown guest'
| or 'virsh destroy guest'?

Dear Alex ,

The Guest is a minimal debian squeeze install without any GUI desktop
in it .  Below is the relevant /etc/network/interfaces file.

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.101.11
        netmask 255.255.0.0
        gateway 192.168.1.1

------------------------- end of interfaces file ----------------
the allow-hotplug on eth0 allow network to be automatically
configured once the attach-device is done. similarly detach-device
is handled gracefully.

Before posting we have done multiple permutations and combinations
of many config parameters and activities. This includes shutting down the
guest via 'halt' and 'destroy|shutdown' from the virsh interface. It does
not help or makes difference.

Most surprisingly there is no alarming messages that are shown
in any of the logs , be it the syslog of host or syslog of guest,
I have however not seen the libvirtd.log in debug mode which i
shall do in a while.

I would also like to tell that the issues was discussed in the
intel forum but no conclusive solution could be found. The link
is:

http://communities.intel.com/message/164211#164211

I am sorry for the bit late response but i assure my continued
feedback regarding this issue. We are working on a test (spare)
hardware and it is easy for us to test any configuration or patches

The platform is : SuperMicro AMD Opteron Hardware , with IOMMU
and SRIOV enabled , intel 82599EB based dual SFP+ port , linux
kernel 3.5.1 from kernel.org.

Regds
mallah

| Regards,
| Alex
|

| Regards,
| Rajesh Kumar Mallah
| Tel. 91-11-46710500 (Ext:303)
| Cell +919811255597
| Website: http://www.tradeindia.com/
| \|/ \|/ \|/   stop printing   \|/ \|/ \|/
|  |   |   |    start planting   |   |   |