[libvirt-users] Does libvirt abstract each and any vm specific command?

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Fri Aug 24 14:16:11 UTC 2012

On 08/23/2012 07:07 PM, adrelanos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> my project still uses VBoxManage but I am inclined  to switch to
> libvirt, if possible, because I like the concept.
>
> Some rather unusual commands are used by my project...
>
> VBoxManage modifyvm "$VMNAME" --synthcpu on
> VBoxManage setextradata "$VMNAME"
> "VBoxInternal/Devices/VMMDev/0/Config/GetHostTimeDisabled" "1"
> VBoxManage modifyvm "$VMNAME" --natdnsproxy1 on
> VBoxManage modifyvm "$VMNAME" --natdnshostresolver1 on
> VBoxManage modifyvm "$VMNAME" --natdnspassdomain1 off
>
> I haven't found any mention of synthcpu, GetHostTimeDisabled, etc. on
> libvirt.org.
>
> Does libvirt abstract each any any vm specific command? Or only the most
> common ones?

The end goal of libvirt is to abstract _any_ useful configuration
command; but reaching that goal requires patches from interested parties.

> So, if I say, I really need the commands listed above, I
> can't use libvirt?

Not without first patching libvirt APIs to expose those functionalities.
 It might also be worth a patch to the vbox driver to expose arbitrary
command passthrough (as has already been done for the qemu driver), to
at least bridge the gap between using libvirt but also triggering a
configuration item not yet covered in libvirt XML.  However, as I don't
use vbox myself, I can only offer to review patches from others on this
front, rather than write one myself.