[libvirt-users] Excluding RAW disk from snapshot

Trey Dockendorf treydock at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 16:21:31 UTC 2012

I have an oVirt engine node that currently runs the system on a qcow2
based virtual disk, and an NFS export volume on RAW.  I'd like to take
a snapshot before a somewhat risky upgrade of oVirt and can't with the
raw image attached.

Looking at the documentation for the snapshot XML, I created this XML
file for the snapshot

<domainsnapshot>
  <name>20120802</name>
  <description>oVirt 3.1 upgrade</description>
  <disks>
    <disk name='vda' snapshot='yes' />
    <disk name='vdb' snapshot='no' />
  </disks>
</domainsnapshot>

When I try the snapshot I get this error...

# virsh snapshot-create dc-vmarchitect dc-vmarchitect_ss.xml
error: argument unsupported: unable to handle disk requests in snapshot

This occurred on both libvirt-0.9.4 and after an upgrade to libvirt-0.9.10

Current system is CentOS 6.2 with 6.3 versions of qemu/libvirt

qemu-kvm-0.12.1.2-2.295.el6_3.1.x86_64
qemu-img-0.12.1.2-2.295.el6_3.1.x86_64

libvirt-client-0.9.10-21.el6_3.3.x86_64
libvirt-python-0.9.10-21.el6_3.3.x86_64
libvirt-0.9.10-21.el6_3.3.x86_64

According to the documentation,
http://libvirt.org/formatsnapshot.html, the disk features should be
available since 0.9.5.  Is this still missing or have I created an
invalid XML?

Thanks
- Trey