[libvirt-users] error deploying a vm: Operation not permitted

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Fri Aug 3 16:34:51 UTC 2012

On 08/03/2012 05:06 AM, Michael Rebstock wrote:

> but then I get the following error message:
>
> error: Failed to create domain from deployment.0
>
> error: cannot set ownership on /var/lib/one/datastores/0/15/disk.0:
> Operation not permitted

What distro?  If this is a Fedora-based distro, I would guess that this
is a SELinux issue, where you haven't set up libvirt to know that you
want to use /var/lib/one/datastores as a libvirt image repository,
therefore it is labeled incorrectly and SELinux denies attempts to use
it.  If I'm right, then the solution would be to create a storage pool
for that directory, so that libvirt will then know to alter the labeling
of that directory and thus permit access to the images contained inside.
 [If you're using a debian-based distro, then the same comments probably
apply to your appArmor setup, but I'm not as familiar with setting that up]