[libvirt-users] automatically detaching PCI host devices from guest for SRIOV usage.

Rajesh Kumar Mallah mallah at tradeindia.com
Mon Aug 20 12:34:38 UTC 2012

Dear List ,

We are using intel 82599EB based SRIOV capable 10GbE cards
on the host machine.The VFs are being assigned to the guest
in pass through mode and are providing the network connectivity
as expected.

However when we shutdown the guest the connectivity does not
comes back via the VFs on the guest in next boot unless
the VFs are detached from the *guest* *before* initiating a
shutdown of the guests.

(
the detach is explicitly done via virsh command
/usr/local/libvirt/bin/virsh  detach-device guest01   ~/nic.xml
nic.xml contained
<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
   <source>
      <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x10' function='0x0'/>
   </source>
   <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>
</hostdev>
)

The question is anyone else facing similar problem and
if so what solution was used?

Secondly , is there anyway to automate the detaching of the
VFs from the guest when the guest is put in the shutdown
sequence ? (or for that matter destroyed).

Regards,
Rajesh Kumar Mallah
Tel. 91-11-46710500 (Ext:303)
Cell +919811255597
Website: http://www.tradeindia.com/
\|/ \|/ \|/   stop printing   \|/ \|/ \|/
 |   |   |    start planting   |   |   |