[libvirt-users] Libvirt Qemu compatibility

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Tue Aug 21 19:59:46 UTC 2012

On 08/21/2012 01:39 PM, Shawn Furrow wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am using Ubuntu 10.04 Server and I am trying to figure out which versions
> of qemu-kvm and libvirt are known to work well together

Libvirt is supposed to support all versions of qemu that were stable at
the time of the particular libvirt release.  Therefore, libvirt 0.9.11
and later should support qemu 1.1 and earlier; libvirt.git (the upcoming
libvirt 0.10.0) will support qemu 1.2 and earlier.  Generally, the only
time you run into problems is when you upgrade qemu but not libvirt; but
the other direction (upgrading libvirt but not qemu) should just work
(if it doesn't, please report it as a bug).

> and if there is
> anything special that needs to be done during their installs.

Not really, although you may want to mimic what your distro did.

> I am trying
> to work with the latest version of libvirt possible that will be stable
> with qemu-kvm. Right now, the only configuration I've been able to get
> working are the "libvirt-bin" and "qemu-kvm" distribution packages.
> However, I would like to at least install libvirt from source because I
> want to have access to the source code and make minor changes.

We welcome any patches you want to send.