[libvirt-users] virsh reboot problem

Peter Krempa pkrempa at redhat.com
Tue Aug 28 12:58:21 UTC 2012

On 08/28/12 13:59, Andreas Davour wrote:

> I am trying to reboot my virtual machines, running virsh reboot. Then I get the following error:
>
> error: this function is not supported by the connection driver: virDomainReboot
>
> Searching around I get the impression this should be fixed by now, since the bugs I find are old and resolved. These are the versions I'm running.
>
> Linux 2.6.32-131.0.15.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue May 10 15:42:40 EDT 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> libvirt-0.8.7-18.el6.x86_64
> qemu-kvm-0.12.1.2-2.160.el6.x86_64

libvirt's qemu hypervisor driver supports virDomainReboot since v0.9.3.
For reference please check: http://libvirt.org/hvsupport.html

> I also have acpid in both the host and the guest.

Yes, acpid is needed for a graceful reboot, as the reboot procedure from
the perspective of the guest looks like a acpi shutdown request and a
new start. For a traditional reboot, you would require asistance of a
guest agent.

> Am I missing something?
>
> Thanks.
>
> /andreas