[libvirt-users] Libvirt problem with KVM from source

Ekrem Sonmemis ekrem.sonmemis at gmx.com
Sat Dec 8 17:53:14 UTC 2012

Dear List,

 I have installed a custom KVM on my Ubuntu 12.04 which I sometimes use. I would like to use it with libvirt, so I used apt-get to install libvirt, virt-viewer and virtinst.

 I can start virsh after installation and it says it is version 0.9.8, but once I get to trying to install a VM with virtinst, I get the error message:

 ERROR Host does not support any virtualisation options

 If I install KVM using apt-get the exact same instruction works, so perhaps the problems occurs with the custom KVM due to the configuration of the KVM install but I'm afraid I can't figure it out. I would really like to make it work with the custom KVM rather than the packaged version. I install the custom KVM at the prefix /usr/local/kvm, but I don't change anything else. Could this have anything to do with it?

 Thanks for reading.

 Regards,

 Ekrem