[libvirt-users] Ordering multiple network interfaces on vms

john fisher john at jpfisher.net
Mon Dec 10 20:27:03 UTC 2012

@Gao
see the other thread Managing eths in vm from hv   too.

We weren't able to order based on vnets, though I agree its seems intuitive. But our test wasn't thorough. Eric says:

"Libvirt passes the devices to the qemu command line in the same order that they appear in the XML. It is not libvirt's
fault if qemu then takes the command line arguments and presents it to the guest in such a way that the guest can
initialize the devices in the order in which a bus scan finds them, rather than in the order they were presented on the
command line."

as far as I can tell the bridges are always setup first, then the direct VF connections. Whether this is caused by our
hardware or Qemu or PCI I have no idea.

Now, I am trying the idea of editing the /etc/udev/rules.d/70* file to move the MAC addresses around. Results are mixed.
very puzzling.

John

--
John Fisher