[libvirt-users] Networking problem on virtualized pfSense firewall

Lorenzo Milesi maxxer at ufficyo.com
Thu Dec 13 09:10:00 UTC 2012

Hi.
I've a strange problem with networking and a KVM virtualized pfsense firewall.

My hw host is Ubuntu 12.04 fully updated, with two bridges br0 (LAN) and br1 (WAN).
pfSense is a KVM guest with the two interfaces in virtio mode.

When I run pfSense as fw, the host doesn't seem capable of doing tcp connections outside. I can ping any internal and exernal host, but when I try telnetting 25 or 80 outside it won't work. Every other host in the LAN can surf and make every kind of connection outside and inside, just the host cannot.

At fist I thought it was a pfSense problem, because if I run another VM guest with another firewall the host can connect, but what makes me think it's a host networking issue is that with this other FW I experience other weird problems, like not being able to connect to the physical host when connected via VPN.
I double checked iptables and there's no block, everything is accepted.

KVM setup is pretty much the ubuntu default.
Any idea?

thanks
Lorenzo Milesi - lorenzo.milesi at yetopen.it

GPG/PGP Key-Id: 0xE704E230 - http://keyserver.linux.it