[libvirt-users] CFS BWC related question

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Fri Dec 14 15:04:59 UTC 2012

On 12/14/2012 12:37 AM, Dennis Chen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Seems this question is not related with libvirt directly, but I still want to ping this list to see if someone can be help.
>
> The OS in my desktop box is Ubuntu 12.10, the kernel is 3.5.1. I installed the cgroup utility package with:#apt-get install cgroup-bin, but after I installed these packages successfully, I can't find cpu_quota/cpu_period controller in the /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu folder. So the essential question is:
>
> What I need to do to make cgroup can support CFS BWC feature?

Your kernel sounds new enough, and since you have cgroups turned on,
libvirt should just be able to use it.  Did you restart libvirtd after
turning on cgroups?

> Specifically, how to make the cpu_quota/cpu_period to be available within cgroup/cpu?

Have you tried using the libvirt XML markings that control cpu quota and
period?  If so, it either works (you have everything you need), or else
it would be helpful if you posted the error message you get when trying.
 For reference, the XML to use is documented at:
http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsCPUTuning
and you can also do hot-plug modifications by using virsh schedinfo.