[libvirt-users] Is thre any way to change the vm computer name which joined AD

Trey Dockendorf treydock at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 09:47:59 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 3:01 AM, Timon Wang <timonwst at gmail.com> wrote:
> If a vm join AD domain, the name is registered in the AD server, when I copy
> a VM, the name will conflict with the source VM.
> I wanna to know if I can change the VM computer name automaticly.
>

> On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 4:19 PM, Trey Dockendorf <treydock at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Maybe also have to rename locally to match the modified AD record.
>

> --
> Focus on: Server Vitualization, Network security,Scanner,NodeJS,JAVA,WWW
> Blog: http://www.nohouse.net

Sysprep (used for both live provisioning and cloning) is really the
only effective way to clone AD bound systems.  Once the cloned system
is sysprepped (or the original is sysprepped before cloning) , upon
first boot you can rename the system.

For windows , if your going to be cloning numerous VMs, I'd recommend
looking at OPSI (http://www.opsi.org/) or possibly MDT to do true
provisioning.  If the overhead to setup either of those is not cost
effective, then creating a 'template' VM may be a good alternative.

- Trey