[libvirt-users] QEMU hook on restore

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Fri Feb 10 20:35:05 UTC 2012

On 02/10/2012 12:42 PM, Laine Stump wrote:
> On 02/10/2012 01:45 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
>> On 02/10/2012 05:43 AM, Székelyi Szabolcs wrote:
>>> I've also noticed that the domain description passed to the hook script
>>> doesn't contain the network device the host will be attached to (XPath:
>>> /domain/devices/interface/target/@dev).
>> This is a different question; right now it is a feature that we don't
>> ever expose the actual network device through dumpxml to the user.  But
>> given your use case of a hook, we might have a reason to do it after
>> all.  Laine, thoughts?
>>

> I don't recall why I chose to not expose it in a live dumpxml. I would
> have to take some time rewinding to remember. It could be I just didn't
> see a need for polluting public API at the time (and it's always easier
> to add something in later than to take it away).

That's my recollection as well - we didn't want to expose it if we
didn't see a use; knowing full well that we could turn it on later (but
could not turn it off later if it was on from the get-go).  Sounds like
we're in agreement then on turning it on.  Is it best to do that by
adding a new flags bit to dumpxml?