[libvirt-users] Bug? virGetLastError() returns NULL after virDomainCreate() if Domain running already

Guido Winkelmann guido-libvi at unknownsite.de
Wed Feb 22 14:06:24 UTC 2012

Hi,

As the subject line indicates, when I'm calling virDomainCreate() to start a
defined domain, and that command fails because the domain is already running at
that point, virGetLastError() will return NULL, instead of a proper pointer to
an error code.
Libvirt will, however, print an error to the console:

libvir: QEMU error : Requested operation is not valid: domain is already
running

This looks like a bug to me, and I'm fairly certain that earlier version would
return an error code of VIR_ERR_OPERATION_INVALID at that point. Or maybe that
was just virDomainDestroy(), and I'm just blindly assuming that
virDomainCreate() will work analogously...

Anyway, no error code is bad, because I can't tell what happened.

This is version 0.9.8. I couldn't find anything about this issue in the
changelogs for 0.9.9 and 0.9.10, so I'm assuming the issue has not been
addressed since.

	Guido