[libvirt-users] qemu - could not load kernel and dynamic ownership setting

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Fri Feb 24 23:57:13 UTC 2012

On 02/24/2012 12:21 PM, Shantanu Pavgi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am getting following 'qemu: could not load kernel' error while trying to create a new VM using virt-install or virt-manager. The software versions are as follows: CentOS 6.2,  Libvirt 0.9.4,  qemu-kvm 2:0.12.1.2-2.209.el6_2.1.
>
> The qemu.conf has disabled dynamic_ownership setting.  The VM instantiation has worked fine before when dynamic_ownership was enabled (default). So is this error related to dynamic ownership being disabled? I appreciate any help on how to debug this error further.

Very well could be.  If dynamic_ownership is on, then libvirt will chown
the image prior to starting qemu, then revert it back on completion.
But if you have it off, then libvirt assumes you have correct
permissions on the file to begin with, and if that assumption is wrong,
failure to open the image could indeed result.

We have a troubleshooting wiki that may give you more insight on things
to try, and do feel free to add a page if you find a solution:
http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Troubleshooting

> Also, is there any documentation on why/when dynamic_ownership setting should be used?

http://libvirt.org/drvqemu.html#securitydac
has a start; if you find more information would be useful, then let's
get the documentation improved (the docs are kept as part of libvirt.git).