[libvirt-users] Problems running virtual machines after an upgrade

Jiri Denemark jdenemar at redhat.com
Wed Feb 29 14:49:45 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 13:55:08 +0000, Bhasker C V wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  I upgraded qemu-kvm and libvirt to the new versions
>  qemu-kvm at : 1.0
>  libvirt at          : git version 0.9.10
>
> I lost the original machines but the xml files were are all present (it
> is not showing up in virsh list --all)
>
> But when I import an xml I get an error: Attached is some information
> which might be helpful
> Can someone help please ?
>
> If this is a compatibility issue please can someone tell me which is the
> latest version of qemu-kvm and libvirt combination which will work ?
> I cannot use qemu plain since it does not yet support boot from scsi
>
> thanks

> $ sudo virsh list --all
>  Id    Name                           State
>
> $ lsmod | grep kvm
> kvm_intel             112920  0
> kvm                   280656  1 kvm_intel
>
> $ /usr/local/sbin/libvirtd --version
> /usr/local/sbin/libvirtd (libvirt) 0.9.10
>
> $ ./qemu-system-x86_64 --version
> QEMU emulator version 1.0-bcv (qemu-kvm-1.0), Copyright (c) 2003-2008
> Fabrice Bellard

Hmm, I suspect "1.0-bcv" version is not in the form we expect it to be. The
"-bcv" suffix causes this binary to be detected as qemu only, i.e., not kvm
capable... Which is wrong, btw, we should be detecting kvm capability by
checking -enable-kvm or -disable-kvm options since even plain qemu can use
kvm.

Jirka