[libvirt-users] Can a VM tell what host it's on?

Brian K. White brian at aljex.com
Fri Feb 3 17:28:53 UTC 2012

On 2/2/2012 4:54 PM, Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 02, 2012 at 02:30:45PM -0500, Brian K. White wrote:
>
>> I certainly don't have any such thing as a central management app
>> that knows what all the vm's are on all the hosts.
>
> A VM is going to be a more
> generally-useful part if it has access to contextual information

It needs to be admin configurable of course, because there are also
times when you specifically want to disable or spoof all such context info.

The day the fake bios/acpi/efi info becomes standard is the day
microsoft and apple start looking for it to disable your windows/osx
install, so while one guy needs to supply this info, another guy
specifically needs to avoid supplying this same info.

--
bkw