[libvirt-users] Unable to collect VM metrics for ESX using libvirt

sethu subbiah ssubbia2 at ncsu.edu
Fri Feb 10 16:35:38 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am trying to connect to a server running esx and collect system metrics
like cpu usage, network and disk iops. I am able to establish the
connection successfully and obtain VM information such as ids, domain
names, config xml etc. But I am unable to collect statistics.

I am using the python interface and if I do ,

conn=libvirt.openAuth(uri, auth, 0)
dom-conn.lookupByID(id) // Where id is the domain id of the vms

netstats=dom.interfaceStats(interface)

gives an error libvirt.libvirtError: this function is not supported by the
connection driver: virDomainInterfaceStats

The same goes for block stats. For the cpu, I used,

cpu=dom.info()[4]

but, that always returns 0 (I thought it was cumulative and returns a huge
value)

I have used similar scripts with xen and kvm and it worked well. Can
someone tell me what mistake I am doing or if the driver doesnt support
these functions, is there any other way of getting the stats ?? Thank you.

-
Regards,
Sethuraman Subbiah

Graduate Student - NC state University