[libvirt-users] Detecting Co-residency of VMs on KVM

Shikhar Agarwal shikhar.diit at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 18:08:13 UTC 2012

I am doing an experiment which involves detecting co-resident VMs (testing
if 2 VMs are on the same physical machine) on KVM. I have tried using cache
covert channel, but this test does not work if the VMs are on different
processors within the same host as the caches are not shared then. If I use
the tools netperf and iperf to differentiate using network channels, I am
not getting clear results. This is because the network is really good (10
Gbps). I believe there are better and more reliable ways for the same.
Please suggest some of these.
The idea is to find some resource (like memory, disk, etc) that is shared
by the VMs and try to run some benchmarks that thrash this resource.
Another idea is to take advantage of some optimization that kvm might be
doing internally. Please help me.

Thank you
Shikhar Agarwal
Undergraduate Senior