[libvirt-users] libvirt doesn't boot kVM, hangs, qemu on 100% CPU

Igor Galić i.galic at brainsware.org
Tue Feb 21 22:46:50 UTC 2012

Hi folks,

it's been adventurous.
Yesterday night I've started debugging this particular
issue of why my KVMs don't boot on Ubuntu 11.10.
A first hint was apparmor, which seemed to deny access
to the LVM partitions I had assigned as disks.
After correctly configuring apparmor, or even disabling
it the issue was still the same.
After a wild goose chase, I decided to update everything,
I now have
* libvirt 0.9.8 (built from Ubuntu 12.04 sources)
* qemu 1.0 (built from Ubuntu 12.04 sources)
* SeaBIOS (built from git master: pre-1.6.4-20120221_203841)

I even installed sgabios to see what's going on without
having to connect with virt-manager every time.

So what's going on? What am I trying to do?

I'm trying to boot an Ubuntu amd64 VM, which looks pretty
much the same as the Ubuntu host, except that I uninstalled
libvirt and qemu-kvm, which felt out of place.
This I'm trying to accomplish by booting it with the host's
kernel and initrd (os/kernel and os/initrd).

So much for the starting conditions. You can find my
configuration here: http://sprunge.us/gCVj (I'm attaching
it just in case the pastebin goes stale).

The first thing that is slightly irritating is that it
doesn't validate:

"""
 Relax-NG validity error : Extra element kernel in interleave
 web.xml:9: element kernel: Relax-NG validity error : Element os failed to validate content
 web.xml:8: element type: Relax-NG validity error : Error validating value
 web.xml:8: element type: Relax-NG validity error : Element type failed to validate content
 web.xml:1: element domain: Relax-NG validity error : Invalid sequence in interleave
 web.xml:1: element domain: Relax-NG validity error : Element domain failed to validate content
 web.xml fails to validate
"""

Interestingly, even if I remove some of the elements that
`virt-xml-validate` complains about via `virsh edit`, next
time I `edit`, or `dumpxml` it'll be back in place.

With sgabios in place, I can fortunately just c/p to show
you what a boot looks like:

"""
 SeaBIOS (version pre-1.6.4-20120221_203841-bacon)

 iPXE (http://ipxe.org) 00:03.0 C100 PCI2.10 PnP PMM+001C9B80+00189B80 C100

 iPXE (http://ipxe.org) 00:04.0 C200 PCI2.10 PnP PMM 001C9B80 00189B80 C200

 Booting from ROM...
"""

And that's it.
And that's wrong. But I can't seem to figure out how and why.

I'll be hugely in debt for your help and welcome any
suggestions, ready to provide as much information as
you need to solve this issue.

So long,

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883