[libvirt-users] Bug? virGetLastError() returns NULL after virDomainCreate() if Domain running already

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Feb 22 18:26:50 UTC 2012

On 02/22/2012 11:16 AM, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 02/22/2012 07:06 AM, Guido Winkelmann wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> As the subject line indicates, when I'm calling virDomainCreate() to start a
>> defined domain, and that command fails because the domain is already running at
>> that point, virGetLastError() will return NULL, instead of a proper pointer to
>> an error code.
>> Libvirt will, however, print an error to the console:
>>
>> libvir: QEMU error : Requested operation is not valid: domain is already
>> running
>
> Any return of NULL without a last error set is a bug.  I'm trying to
> chase this down, and hope to have a patch soon.

I can't reproduce this.  I tested on libvirt 0.9.10, starting with an
inactive domain 'dom' and using 'virsh dumpxml dom > dom.xml; virsh
create dom.xml; virsh create dom.xml', and the second create gave me a
proper error message of "Requested operation is not valid: domain is
already active as 'dom'".

Can you post the code snippet you are using to get this situation?
Could it be that you have a different name and/or UUID in the xml from
the domain already running (my test obviously reused the same name and
uuid from what is already running).