[libvirt-users] Problems running virtual machines after an upgrade

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Sat Feb 25 14:36:03 UTC 2012

On 02/25/2012 06:55 AM, Bhasker C V wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  I upgraded qemu-kvm and libvirt to the new versions
>  qemu-kvm at : 1.0
>  libvirt at          : git version 0.9.10

Which distro are you using?  Did you self-build libvirt?

> I lost the original machines but the xml files were are all present (it
> is not showing up in virsh list --all)

This might be a case of virsh picking up a different default URI, based
on what support you built into libvirt.

Try 'virsh uri' to see what your default URI is.  If it is not
'qemu:///system', then that explains your symptoms, and using 'virsh -c
qemu:///system list --all' will restore your listing abilities.  You can
export VIRSH_DEFAULT_CONNECT_URI so you don't have to use virsh -c every
time.

> But when I import an xml I get an error: Attached is some information
> which might be helpful
> Can someone help please ?
>
> If this is a compatibility issue please can someone tell me which is the
> latest version of qemu-kvm and libvirt combination which will work ?

The versions you have listed should be compatible (there was an issue
where older libvirt didn't like the newer qemu 1.0 versioning scheme,
but that has been fixed).

> $ /usr/local/sbin/libvirtd --version
> /usr/local/sbin/libvirtd (libvirt) 0.9.10
>
> $ ./qemu-system-x86_64 --version

That's a different executable...

> QEMU emulator version 1.0-bcv (qemu-kvm-1.0), Copyright (c) 2003-2008
> Fabrice Bellard
>
> $ sudo virsh define ./debian.xml
> error: Failed to define domain from ./debian.xml
> error: unknown OS type hvm
>
> $ cat debian.xml
> <domain type='kvm'>
>   <devices>
>     <emulator>/usr/local/bin/kvm</emulator>

...than what you are testing here.  It may be that you are telling
libvirt to use the wrong binary, and that might be the source of your
error message.

Also, you may want to check out the troubleshooting wiki page, to see if
anything there helps your situation (and if not, feel free to add a page
as we figure out what's happening for you):
http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Troubleshooting