[libvirt-users] Problems running virtual machines after an upgrade

Bhasker C V bhasker at unixindia.com
Sat Feb 25 15:57:41 UTC 2012

Hi Eric
 Thanks for replying ...
On 25/02/12 14:36, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 02/25/2012 06:55 AM, Bhasker C V wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>>  I upgraded qemu-kvm and libvirt to the new versions
>>  qemu-kvm at : 1.0
>>  libvirt at          : git version 0.9.10
> Which distro are you using?  Did you self-build libvirt?
    Debian squeeze

>> I lost the original machines but the xml files were are all present (it
>> is not showing up in virsh list --all)
> This might be a case of virsh picking up a different default URI, based
> on what support you built into libvirt.
>
> Try 'virsh uri' to see what your default URI is.  If it is not
> 'qemu:///system', then that explains your symptoms, and using 'virsh -c
> qemu:///system list --all' will restore your listing abilities.  You can
> export VIRSH_DEFAULT_CONNECT_URI so you don't have to use virsh -c every
> time.
I did try using differnt URIs but did not get this working. I could not
see any machines in --all option
$ type virsh
virsh is aliased to `virsh --connect qemu:///system'
$

>> But when I import an xml I get an error: Attached is some information
>> which might be helpful
>> Can someone help please ?
>>
>> If this is a compatibility issue please can someone tell me which is the
>> latest version of qemu-kvm and libvirt combination which will work ?
> The versions you have listed should be compatible (there was an issue
> where older libvirt didn't like the newer qemu 1.0 versioning scheme,
> but that has been fixed).
I am still seeing issues. I just downloaded the git version and the
qemu-kvm-1.0 but when compiled did not work
Did not work is in the sense as told above

The  virsh capabilities does  not show hvm in the list

>> $ /usr/local/sbin/libvirtd --version
>> /usr/local/sbin/libvirtd (libvirt) 0.9.10
>>
>> $ ./qemu-system-x86_64 --version
> That's a different executable...
>
>> QEMU emulator version 1.0-bcv (qemu-kvm-1.0), Copyright (c) 2003-2008
>> Fabrice Bellard
>>
>> $ sudo virsh define ./debian.xml
>> error: Failed to define domain from ./debian.xml
>> error: unknown OS type hvm
>>
>> $ cat debian.xml
>> <domain type='kvm'>
>>   <devices>
>>     <emulator>/usr/local/bin/kvm</emulator>
> ...than what you are testing here.  It may be that you are telling
> libvirt to use the wrong binary, and that might be the source of your
> error message.
>
> Also, you may want to check out the troubleshooting wiki page, to see if
> anything there helps your situation (and if not, feel free to add a page
> as we figure out what's happening for you):
> http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Troubleshooting

Hah I forgot to tell  kvm is linked to qemu-system-x86_64
I just went back to libvirt 0.9.1 with qemu-kvm 0.14.1 and thingss are
back to normal ; atleast in working condition
The main reason I wanted to move to newer versions is that I wanted to
use USB 2.0 rather than forced to use USB1.0 in case of the versions
of qemu and libvirt i specified.
Since this is a production system I think I have to create a backup
system and try it out to see if I am able to get this working ...

--
Bhasker C V