[libvirt-users] Libvirt migration issues (0.9.4 and 0.9.9)

Daniel Espling espling at cs.umu.se
Mon Jan 30 14:14:03 UTC 2012

Dear all,

we're having two different problems with migrations in libvirt, running as root user on host machines with CentOS release 5.5 (Final), kernel: Linux 2.6.32.24 #3 SMP Fri Oct 29 16:22:02 BST 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

First case:

virsh version
Compiled against library: libvir 0.9.4
Using library: libvir 0.9.4
Using API: QEMU 0.9.4
Running hypervisor: QEMU 1.0.50

Migrations work well for a basic VM, but if we attach a disk to the usb bus migration is no longer possible and fails with the error message: "error: operation failed: migration job: is not active". This is regardless of if the device is mounted inside the VM or not (debian). Please find more information attached.

If we attach the same (.iso based) disk to the scsi bus instead, migrations work as normal.

----

To mitigate this problem, we tried upgrading to a more recent libvirt version:

Compiled against library: libvir 0.9.9
Using library: libvir 0.9.9
Using API: QEMU 0.9.9
Running hypervisor: QEMU 1.0.50

When trying to migrate a normal (debian) instance from one host to another using the same domain as in the previous successful case without any devices attached, migration fails with the error message "error: Unable to copy socket file handle: Invalid argument". The libvirt.log only has a similar single-line of information:  2012-01-30 15:44:46.772+0000: 7546: error : virNetSocketDupFD:787 : Unable to copy socket file handle: Invalid argument.

The network configuration used here is the same as we successfully used in the 0.9.4 test case, using static ip's.

Thankful for assistance, not really sure what to try next. :)

Regards,
Daniel Espling