[libvirt-users] Communication with Hyper-V

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 10 11:35:06 UTC 2012

2012/1/10 Vadim Gurevich <vgurevich at juniper.net>:
> Hi,
>
> I’m interested in using libvirt to communicate with Microsoft’s Hyper-V. I’m
> trying to use virsh, but with no success. I have a machine that runs Windows
> Server Developer Preview with Hyper-V on it, ip x.x.x.x
>
> I set the service Basic and AlloUnencrypted properties on this machine to
> true, as required
>
> I also have a Linux machine x.x.y.y, with libvirt installed. This is what I
> get:
>
> virsh -c hyperv://x.x.x.x/?transport=http
>
> error: Cannot read CA certificate '/etc/pki/CA/cacert.pem': No such file or
> directory
>
> error: failed to connect to the hypervisor
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1.      As I understand, if my hypervisor was on Linux, there’s a daemon
> “libvirtd” that should be installed on it. Is there an equivalent service
> for Windows? I installed this thing on the Hyper-V machine:
> http://libvirt.org/sources/win32_experimental/Libvirt-0.8.8-0.exe, but am
> not sure about its purpose.

No need for libvirtd on the Hyper-V server. The libvirt on your Linux
machine will directly talk to the Hyper-V management API on the
Hyper-V server.

> 2.      Why do I get an error about certificate, when I specified the
> transport to be http?

That error message gives you the wrong impression. Your problem is
probably that your libvirt version on the Linux machine is too old and
doesn't have support for Hyper-V yet.

Basic Hyper-V support was added in libvirt version 0.9.5.

--
Matthias Bolte
http://photron.blogspot.com