[libvirt-users] About IBM PowerVM hypervisor support

Dennis Chen dennis.chen at tnsoft.com.cn
Thu Jul 5 02:50:11 UTC 2012

On 07/04/2012 08:56 PM, Eduardo Otubo wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 05:42:08PM +0800, Dennis Chen wrote:
>> Adding Eduardo who is the author of the phyp driver...
>>
>> Eduardo, is the libvirtd daemon necessary for libvirt-based to
>> manage the PowerVM node? I guess so,
>> if it's the case, then what's the environment in the PowerVM-based
>> node to run the libvirtd daemon, is it vios?
> Dennis,
>
> libvirtd isn't necessary to manage LPARs. You just need to run virsh in
> your own computer in order to connect to an HMC/VIOS or IVM environment.
>
> Any questions please feel free to ask.
>
> Regards,

Eduardo,

Thanks for the help! I encounter an issue when trying to connect the
remote VIOS/IVM server:

1. The used virsh is built from 0.9.12 source code with ./configure
--prefix=/usr --with-phyp; make; make install;

2. When I try to connect the VIOS server with ssh, it succeeds with
output looks like:
     root at dennis-:/home/libvirt-0.9.12# ssh padmin at 10.30.56.60
     padmin at 172.30.56.60's password:
     Last unsuccessful login: Wed Jul  4 21:22:22 CDT 2012 on ssh from
10.16.10.94
     Last login: Wed Jul  4 21:23:14 CDT 2012 on /dev/pts/1 from 10.16.10.94
     [vios:/home/padmin]

3. My virsh runs in the local ubuntu 12.04 system, and I've executed the
following command:
     sudo usermod -G libvirtd -a padmin

4. When I try connect the VIOS server with virsh, issue occurs:

     root at dennis-:/home/libvirt-0.9.12# virsh -c phyp://padmin@10.30.56.60
     Enter padmin's password for 10.30.56.60:
     error: An error occurred, but the cause is unknown
     error: failed to connect to the hypervisor

     root at dennis-:/home/libvirt-0.9.12# virsh -c
phyp+ssh://padmin@10.30.56.60
     padmin at 10.30.56.60's password:
     error: End of file while reading data: bash: sh: command not found:
Input/output error
     error: failed to connect to the hypervisor

     some times the last command also shows error message like:
     root at dennis-:/home/libvirt-0.9.12# virsh -c
phyp+ssh://padmin@10.30.56.60
     padmin at 10.30.56.60's password:
     error: Cannot recv data: bash: sh: command not found: Connection
reset by peer
     error: failed to connect to the hypervisor

Is there any tips about this?

BRs,
Dennis