[libvirt-users] Virsh Failing to Snapshot VMWare VM with Multiple Disks

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Jul 18 16:19:36 UTC 2012

On 07/18/2012 09:47 AM, Elizabeth Griffith wrote:
> I am trying to use virsh's snapshot-create command on a VMWare vm that has multiple disks in its device list, but the command is failing with the error:
> "Could not create snapshot: FileNotFound - file [pool] filename.vmx".
> However, this command works if my vm only has one disk in its device list.
> I am using libvirt 0.9.10, and the storage pool is nfs mounted between the machine that I am running virsh on and the hypervisor.
> Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong or if this is even supported by virsh?

virsh supports calling the underlying API; and the underlying API works
for multi-disk VMs in qemu, so that should not be your issue.  The real
question is whether the vmware driver in libvirt has been properly wired
up to obey that API on a multi-disk VM.  Unfortunately, I don't know the
answer to that, as I don't use vmware myself, but you are welcome to try
and debug and submit a patch if no one else more familiar with the
vmware driver in libvirt steps in.