[libvirt-users] About IBM PowerVM hypervisor support

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Jul 4 02:03:25 UTC 2012

On 07/03/2012 07:32 PM, Dennis Chen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that libvirt support the following hypervisors currently:
>

> /"the goal of libvirt: *to provide a common and stable layer sufficient
> to securely manage domains on a node, possibly remote*."/
>
> My question is, does redhat's libvirt team have the plan to support IBM
> PowerVM hypervisor?

Yes, if someone will contribute the patches, at least as far as upstream
libvirt is concerned.

(Do note, however, that a different question about  whether some future
version of RHEL will provide paid support from Red Hat for the IBM
PowerVM hypervisor is something I cannot answer, and is best asked to
your Red Hat sales rep if you are worried about it.  Or put another way,
this list only worries about the upstream direction of libvirt, while
historically, Red Hat is only willing to provide paid support for a
well-defined subset of what upstream is willing to package).

> If the answer is NO, what's the reason to make the
> support for IBM PowerVM hypervisor doesn't make sense...

The only reason a hypervisor would not be supported at the moment is due
to lack of volunteer contributions to support it.  To some extent, Open
Source software only moves as fast as people scratch their own itches.

For examples of recent additions, see:

HyperV (added in 0.9.5): commit 5e3b0f8b5
Parallels (on slate to be added for the next release, tentatively named
0.10.0): https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2012-June/msg01037.html