[libvirt-users] About IBM PowerVM hypervisor support

Dennis Chen dennis.chen at tnsoft.com.cn
Wed Jul 11 08:14:01 UTC 2012

On 07/10/2012 10:23 PM, Eduardo Otubo wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 10:50:11AM +0800, Dennis Chen wrote:
>
>> Eduardo,
>>
>> Thanks for the help! I encounter an issue when trying to connect the
>> remote VIOS/IVM server:
>>
>> 1. The used virsh is built from 0.9.12 source code with ./configure
>> --prefix=/usr --with-phyp; make; make install;
>>
>> 2. When I try to connect the VIOS server with ssh, it succeeds with
>> output looks like:
>> root at dennis-:/home/libvirt-0.9.12# ssh padmin at 10.30.56.60
>> padmin at 172.30.56.60's password:
>>      Last unsuccessful login: Wed Jul  4 21:22:22 CDT 2012 on ssh
>> from 10.16.10.94
>>      Last login: Wed Jul  4 21:23:14 CDT 2012 on /dev/pts/1 from
>> 10.16.10.94
>>      [vios:/home/padmin]
>>
>> 3. My virsh runs in the local ubuntu 12.04 system, and I've executed
>> the following command:
>>      sudo usermod -G libvirtd -a padmin
>>
>> 4. When I try connect the VIOS server with virsh, issue occurs:
>>
>> root at dennis-:/home/libvirt-0.9.12# virsh -c phyp://padmin@10.30.56.60
>>      Enter padmin's password for 10.30.56.60:
>>      error: An error occurred, but the cause is unknown
>>      error: failed to connect to the hypervisor
>>
>> root at dennis-:/home/libvirt-0.9.12# virsh -c
>> phyp+ssh://padmin@10.30.56.60
>> padmin at 10.30.56.60's password:
>>      error: End of file while reading data: bash: sh: command not
>> found: Input/output error
>>      error: failed to connect to the hypervisor
>>
>>      some times the last command also shows error message like:
>> root at dennis-:/home/libvirt-0.9.12# virsh -c
>> phyp+ssh://padmin@10.30.56.60
>> padmin at 10.30.56.60's password:
>>      error: Cannot recv data: bash: sh: command not found: Connection
>> reset by peer
>>      error: failed to connect to the hypervisor
>>
>> Is there any tips about this?
> Sorry for the late reply.
>
> You must connect to the HMC instead of the VIOS - VIOS commands will be
> transparently passed along the HMC tunnel. You also must specify the
> managed system name in the command line:
>
>   $ virsh -c phyp://user@[hmc|ivm]/managed_system
>
> I'll try to post a patch this week to update the documentation. Any
> issues
> please feel free to ping me in the IRC as well.

phyp driver is important for our project, so I am trying to debug it
these days, yes, the uri should be:
phyp://user@hmc_server/managed_system. And I made some progress,
hopefully I can resolve the connection issue finally.
Now the phyp driver can connect to the remote HMC server successfully,
but seems the phyp uri conflicts with the libvirt remote driver, so
after connection, the "virsh # list" command followed will result in
"segment fault" error, I found that the reason is "remoteGenericOpen"
called in the do_open will clear the virConnectPtr
conn->networkPrivatedata, maybe we need a patch to fix that.

BRs,
Dennis