[libvirt-users] I can't virt-clone into an existing LVM now (ERROR: clone onto existing storage volume is not supported:) - i could in previous lbvirt versions? (deployment scripts no longer work...)

Morgan Cox morgancoxuk at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 10:36:29 UTC 2012

Hi

To deploy KVM vms I use a KVM template + script - which is cloned, then
cloned again and resized - using virt-resize.

i.e

virt-clone --original debian6template-DONTSTART --name NAME.test -f
/dev/vgpool/NAME.test

virsh vol-create-as vgpool NAME 8G

virt-clone --original NAME.test --name NAME -f /dev/vgpool/NAME

virt-resize --expand /dev/sda1 /dev/vgpool/NAME.test /dev/vgpool/NAME

The reason I clone twice is because I know that virt-clone does things to
prep it for a new install, also the whole point was to be able to specify a
size to be clone into (hence the use of virt-resize)

This worked fine on our Ubuntu 11.10 server, however in Ubuntu 12.04 when I
try to do the same I get the error

'ERROR    Clone onto existing storage volume is not supported:
'/dev/vgpool/test'

If I can't virt-clone into an existing LVM I know I can clone once - then
resize with LVM, then virt-resize into the partition (then virt-sysprep) -
however the issue with that is that it is far more fiddly to mange...

Previously could just make a 20GB partition and use virt-resize to expand
into - using the above method I would have to increase the LVM to the value
I want minus the size of the template..
i.e I have to specify - the  amount to increase by, rather than the final
size I want.... The templates also change size (when I update them, etc)
which would mean re-writting the script after every update.

Is there a way I can re-enable being able to virt-clone to an existing LVM
partition ? As mentioned it works 100% fine in Ubuntu 10.04

Regards