[libvirt-users] Setting CPU type for a vm

Mauricio Tavares raubvogel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 02:45:57 UTC 2012

	I have a Windows XP vm and would like to know how should I set its cpu
so it is seen by the vm as a proper 32bit one. In its xml file, I have

   <os>
     <type arch='i686' machine='rhel6.2.0'>hvm</type>
     <boot dev='cdrom'/>
     <boot dev='hd'/>
     <bootmenu enable='yes'/>
   </os>

And this is the machine I have (an intel i5):

[root at vmhost ~]# virsh nodeinfo
CPU model:           x86_64
CPU(s):              4
CPU frequency:       1600 MHz
CPU socket(s):       1
Core(s) per socket:  4
Thread(s) per core:  1
NUMA cell(s):        1
Memory size:         5904548 kB

and this is what virsh thinks my vm has:

[root at vmhost ~]# virsh vcpuinfo xp
VCPU:           0
CPU:            2
State:          running
CPU time:       521.3s
CPU Affinity:   yyyy

[root at vmhost ~]#

But, the vm reports it not only as a 286 but also claims not to have the
right drivers for it. How can I make the vm see it as a 686 or something
like that?