[libvirt-users] duplicate domain ids!?

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Fri Jul 20 15:28:24 UTC 2012

On 07/19/2012 05:00 PM, matt cowan wrote:
> Somehow I've ended up with duplicate domids.  domid=15 name=node14
> (names sanitized)
>
> # virsh list --all

>  14    node13                         running
>  15    node14                         running
>  15    node14                         running
>  16    node16                         running

What version of libvirt?  There is an inherent race in the API of all
libvirt versions prior to 0.9.13; if you are not using the latest
release, then this is probably evidence of the race (namely, a guest can
change state between running an inactive between the time that virsh
calls consecutive query APIs, which means virsh ends up with missing or
duplicate entries).

> Doesn't *seem* to be causing a problem (other than above
> virsh/virt-manager issues), but this shouldn't happen right?

Unless you have atomic listing abilities, stuff like this will happen.

> Any potential for screwiness I should be concerned about?

Only if it is reliably repeatable instead of a one-time occurrence.

> libvirt-0.9.10-21.el6.x86_64

You don't have the atomic listing capabilities, so one-time occurrences
of the data race are to be expected.