[libvirt-users] Can't NAT in KVM

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Sat Jul 28 07:32:19 UTC 2012

On 07/28/2012 01:41 AM, Borden Rhodes wrote:
> On 28 July 2012 01:23, vipul borikar <vipulcell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Can you just disable the firewall and see whether it works or not .
> I did that. The virtual machine can get an IP address now but can't
> connect to the Internet. The VMs can, however, connect to the Apache
> server I run on my laptop (the host) if I direct a browser to the VM's
> gateway (192.168.122.1). However, it's not a DNS issue because I also
> cannot connect to, say, Google using its IP address.

Even though you've disabled your firewall management application, there
could still be rules left around that are messing things up, or ip
forwarding could have been turned off. Try restarting libvirtd - that
will reload all of libvirt's iptables rules as well as setting
ip_forward back on.

If that doesn't get you going, take a look through the other
network-related topics at:

  http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Troubleshooting

That entire list of topics was created by looking through mailing list
archives and IRC logs, an picking out the most common problems and their
causes.