[libvirt-users] Cannot create macvlan devices on this platform

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Jun 21 09:38:19 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 11:25:13AM +0200, Michael Hierweck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> libvirt (0.9.11) refuses to start KVM based virtual machines on my
> system when changing the network connection from "host bridge" to
> "direct" (macvtap/macvlan), neither in "bridge" nor in "vepa" mode:
>
> "Cannot create macvlan devices on this platform"
>
> That's astonishing because I can easily setup working macvlan devices
> using the "ip" command: "ip link add link eth0 type macvlan".
>
> Would someone help me figure out the reason?

This error message occurs if macvtap support was missing when libvirt
was compiled. Based on the configure.ac check, whoever compiled your
libvirt package did not have new enough kernel headers to have the
following constants present

  MACVLAN_MODE_BRIDGE
  IFLA_VF_MAX

which should be in linux/rtnetlink.h