[libvirt-users] The default location of vm snapshots

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Jun 6 13:57:37 UTC 2012

On 06/06/2012 07:05 AM, SimpleCloud wrote:
> Thanks a lot for the details.
>

> From http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Snapshots, we have to pause the domain before taking snapshot and resume after.

Actually, you don't have to do it yourself; libvirt takes care of doing
it for you if that's what qemu requires, as part of the libvirt snapshot
comand.

> Is there any way to do "live" snapshotting for running domain or reduce pause time?

You can do 'disk-only' snapshots instead of system checkpoints, which
are much faster (less than 1 second, while system checkpoints can be
seconds or even minutes long).  And I'm also hoping to add code that
will support external system checkpoints by doing a live migration to
file coupled with a disk snapshot, which will hopefully reduce guest
downtime compared to the current mandatory guest downtime of the qemu
'savevm' monitor command, but it may require qemu to implement more
features first.