[libvirt-users] The default location of vm snapshots

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Jun 7 03:05:56 UTC 2012

[please don't top-post on technical lists]

On 06/06/2012 06:22 PM, Xing.x.Gao wrote:
> you could try: snapshot-create-as guest guestsnap --disk-only

Yes, this is...

>>> Is there any way to do "live" snapshotting for running domain or reduce pause time?
>>
>> You can do 'disk-only' snapshots instead of system checkpoints, which
>> are much faster

...precisely what I meant by 'disk-only' snapshots.  As long as you
don't need the associated VM state (that is, if you are okay that
reverting to the snapshot implies that any in-flight memory that has not
been flushed to disk will be lost, and that the disks will probably need
fsck), then this is indeed the way to go.