[libvirt-users] How to list and change domain's disk image file

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Tue Jun 12 02:26:29 UTC 2012

On 06/11/2012 08:20 PM, Ricardo Hillbrecht wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm writing a C program using libvirt API and need to list the storage
> volumes used by each domain. I'm wondering if there is a way to do
> this better of searching the XML strings of all domains, does anyone
> can suggest me something ?

Parsing the XML is the current method of doing this.  I have plans of
someday adding a new API that returns a list of virStorageVolPtr
corresponding to a given domain, but that's still a ways down the road.

> I also need to create a function to change the img file of a given
> domain. I intend to do the following:
>
> 1. virDomainGetXMLDesc (domain)
> 2. change the XML to other img file
> 3. virDomainUndefine (domain)

You can skip this step (it is okay to redefine an existing domain).

> 4. virDomainCreateXML (changed XML)
>
> Am i correct doing this ? There is a better method ?

You are doing it correctly for affecting the next boot; and this is how
programs like virt-manager do it.  If you want the changes to take place
while the domain is live, then you will have to use the hotplug APIs
such as virDomainDeviceModify.