[libvirt-users] Reconnection problem with a USB device

Dax Kelson dkelson at gurulabs.com
Wed Jun 13 22:59:49 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-06-12 at 18:26 -0700, Dale Amon wrote:
> Seemed like a good idea and it may have done some good, but
> if I disconnect the USB connector to the scanner and then
> reconnect it, an lsusb in the VM does not see it again. I have
> to reboot the VM to get it back.

You might be able to use some combination of the following commands so
you don't have to reboot the VM:

nodedev-reset
nodedev-reattach
nodedev-detach

(see the virsh man page)

Possibly use can create a UDEV rule (running some combination of the
commands above) on the host so that if you hot plug the USB scanner it
will hot add it to the VM.

Dax Kelson