[libvirt-users] update virDomainDef with xml config

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Jun 20 14:31:18 UTC 2012

[dropping libvirt-users-owner; list traffic should not be cc'd to the
list admin interface]

On 06/20/2012 07:09 AM, xuanmao_001 wrote:
> Libvirt Version: 0.9.8
>
> Hi:
>    I added a new api for qemu_driver. and both added libvirt.c and remote.

Would you mind posting this new API, rebased against the latest git
(which is currently building towards 0.9.13), to libvir-list at redhat.com,
as others might find this addition useful?  libvirt-users is not really
the right list to discuss patches, so much as it is for general usage
questions.

> I tested it and it worked well. the function of this new api was add a new field in xml config of domain. (I added it like qemudDomainSetMemoryFlags)at the same time, I added a new member to struct virDomainDef. then I tested xml config converted to virDomaindef and virDomainDef converted to xml config both well(just tested this new api). But there was a problem, if I change the memory size or cpu number then apply it with virtManager. the xml config was changed. but there is no field in the xml what I added. I guest the virDomainDef member in virDomainObjPtr wasn't update.

Without posting your entire patch, it's hard to say what you had
missing.  Also, remember that libvirt promises ABI stability; adding new
XML to backports such as an 0.9.8 release fork is okay, but adding new
API bumps the .so version, and therefore should only be done on the
latest git sources rather than against an old release tarball.

> static int qemudDomainSetCustomOptions(virDomainPtr dom, char *opt)

Just going by the name of this function, it sounds like libvirt already
supports the ability to add custom options; have you taken a look at:

http://libvirt.org/drvqemu.html#qemucommand

for use of the <qemu:commandline> XML?  Also, what _particular_ custom
option are you adding?  If it is generically useful, libvirt should
support this natively rather than requiring people to go through a
custom option.